Tuesday 16 June 2015

I AM NOT A FEMINIST

When girls ask me whether or not I’m a feminist and I’d respond with, “No, I’m not,” why do they explode with such violent reactions? “WHY THE HELL NOT?” “You’re a girl and you’re not feminist?” “Wow, you must have a low sense of self.” “You must think so lowly of women.”
No, that's not true. I don’t belittle women. Why is not being a feminist equal to belittling women? I’m a healthy living young woman. Telling me that I belittle women is a personal affront to my being.
I’m not a feminist because I don’t understand what it means to be one. And frankly, I don’t want to understand. The feminists I know say it means striving for equality between men and women. They believe it. I don’t buy it. For one, why do you call it feminism? Why not equalism? That would make a lot more sense to me. Personally, calling feminism as “equal rights for men and women” is misleading, isn’t it? It sounds like a misnomer.



They would concede and say that in essence, it means empowering women. Well, there you go. Is that so hard? As for me, I don’t empower women. There it is again. When I say this people usually react along the lines of my belittling women. Like, what the fuck? Why does it have to be pure black or white? I think women are doing some really good shit to change this world we’re living in right now. And I admire that. Kudos to them. I think rape is definitely NOT okay, and never will it be. Aaand...that’s about the extent of my stand.

Forcing me to be a feminist because I’m a girl and ostracising me if I resist reminds me of that seatmate in class who insists you become a Born-Again Christian because you’d be much much closer to Jesus Christ, or that persistent Jehovah’s Witness guy who keeps on knocking on your door.
The idea of feminism to me is the same as being an environmentalist, or an advocate of children or gay rights or, hell, even world peace. Either you have it in you or you don’t. And I don’t. I don’t feel strongly for women and I should not be criticised about it. Because I’m a girl. Is this some sort of counter-feminism or something?

I have girl friends. I hang out with girls all the time. Some of them are feminists, including my dear dear Jahan. And you know what? I’m good with it. They feel strongly about it and that’s something I truly respect. But I’m not like that and I should be respected, too. Girls should be allowed to be non-feminists. Non-feminists. Not anti-feminists.

Seriously, guys. leave me alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment